Build performant, native and cross-platform desktop applications with Node.js and Svelte.
Svelte NodeGUI is powered by Svelte and Qt5
If you are looking for the React-based version, check out: React NodeGUI.
If you are looking for the Vue-based version, check out: Vue NodeGUI.
Visit: https://svelte.nodegui.org for docs.
How does it look?
🧬Cross platform. Should work on major Linux flavours, Windows and macOS.
📉Low CPU and memory footprint. Current CPU stays at 0% on idle and memory usage is under 20 MB for a Hello World program.
💅Styling with CSS (includes actual cascading). Also has full support for Flexbox layout (thanks to Yoga).
✅Complete Node.js api support (Currently runs on Node v12.x - and is easily upgradable). Hence has access to all Node.js-compatible npm modules.
🎪Native widget event listener support. Supports all events available from Qt / NodeJs.
💸Can be used for Commercial applications.
🕵️♂️Good Devtools support.
📚Good documentation and website.
🧙♂️Good documentation for contributors.
- 🦹🏻♀️ Good support for dark mode (Thanks to Qt).
🏅First class TypeScript support. (Works on regular JS projects too 😉).
- Check out svelte-nodegui-starter to get up and running with your own Svelte NodeGUI app!
- Read through the Svelte NodeGUI docs
- Check out the examples: https://github.com/nodegui/examples.
Docs for contributing
File issues and get in touch (e.g. on the Svelte Discord's
#nativedev channel), and we can guide you to something broken that needs fixing!
Looking to contribute to NodeGUI? If you wish to implement a new widget/add more features and need help understanding the codebase, you can start here: Contributing developer docs.
npm run build
QT_INSTALL_DIR='/path/to/qt' environment variable to build using your own version of Qt.
Generating docs from source code
The docs generation process is currently a manual operation (text edit everything yourself). The docs are a copy-paste of the React NodeGUI docs, with some text replacement. We're also carrying around a slight fork of the React NodeGUI source in the codebase. In future we hope to clean up this workflow and make it more automatable using
typedoc just like the original React NodeGUI workflow.
Deploying docs to GitHub Pages
cd website && GIT_USER=<your_git_username> npm run deploy
As no funding infrastructure is in place for Svelte NodeGUI specifically, please consider supporting NodeGUI instead, which would be just as productive!
- NodeGUI logo: Thanks to Vishwas Shetty from the Noun Project.
- halfnelson for Svelte Native, which Svelte NodeGUI forks (as it is an excellent example of building a custom Svelte renderer).
- rigor789 for NativeScript Vue Next, from which Svelte NodeGUI takes (and adapts) its DOM implementation.
- a7ul for creating NodeGUI and unwittingly teaching me how to build renderers in the first place.
Code of Conduct
People maintaining this project.
Thanks goes to these wonderful people (emoji key):
Matthieu PERREIRA DA SILVA
This project follows the all-contributors specification. Contributions of any kind welcome!